Mayer was founded in 1930 in Birmingham, Alabama by the late Ben S. Weil. Soon after opening its doors, however, the promising future of Mr. Weil’s business, known then simply as The Electric Supply Company, was deeply affected by the economic collapse that defined that decade.
Due to the collapse, Mr. Weil sold the business to Max Mayer, who would re-name the company to Mayer Electric Supply, which quickly became synonymous with quality products and exceptional customer service.
Though ownership had smoothly transitioned to the Mayer family, Mr. Weil remained an active member of the company, serving as its General Manager. In 1934, Mr. Weil re-purchased the company, which remained Mayer Electric Supply.
In 1979, Charles Collat, Sr. and his family acquired majority stock from the Weil family, marking its final transition in ownership.
Mayer rapidly expanded in the 1970’s – growth that began simply with new branches in nearby cities, but has resulted in today’s footprint across 14 states and 79 locations.
In 2018, Mayer Electric Supply announced a corporate brand evolution. Committed to remaining an industry leader in an increasingly digital age, the company simplified its name to Mayer – a change reflective of the organization’s evolution in becoming faster, more modern and digitally integrated.
Today, Mayer is a privately-held, family- and certified women-owned company defined by its connected team, unrivaled service and innovative solutions. The First Choice of customers, Associates and suppliers, Mayer’s history is rich with success, but its future as a leader in the industry is more promising than ever!